The event of a new home may arrive in your life because of a change of circumstances – good or bad. The home may be big or small, bought or rented, a room or a mansion but it is still the place you set out from each day, the place you return to each evening. Asking God to bless your home is a positive action and a lovely way to begin the newest chapter of your life.
When & Why We Should Pray Over Our Home
In our Christian walk, we ask God’s blessing on lives and ministries. We speak of dedicating lives to God’s Service, we consecrate lives and buildings to God’s service. So why not ask God to bless our
A new home can come to us through happy circumstances such as going to college, buying your first home or getting married. But sadly, loss of work or spouse can precipitate the need to find somewhere else to live. As can divorce, domestic violence, fire or flood, etc. To have to pick up the pieces and rebuild a home and life takes courage and tenacity. Taking time to ask for God’s blessing is an opportunity to close one chapter and begin the next in a positive way.
Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvationPsalm 68 v 19
And in the Bible we can read of some of those who
- left home – such as Abraham in Genesis 12 vs 1-3
- established a new home – the book of Ruth
- dedicated places of worship – Jacob in Genesis 28 vs 10-19, 1 Kings 8 v22-29
ractical examples of the ways homes have been blessed in very different circumstances:
A New Start
When my husband and I got married, I had been a widow for four years. After the marriage ceremony, my husband carried me across the threshold. This was not just as a romantic gesture but as a definite act of beginning our new life together in what was my old home.
A New Home
When my parents-in-law moved into their new home. After the furniture movers had gone, we had a short time of prayer with them. We stood in a circle, holding hands praying for the blessing of a Godly presence in their home. We asked for protection for the physical home, and favour on their witness to their neighbours.
Cleansing and Dedicating an Area
The author Donna Partow in her “Becoming the Woman of God“ tells of when a particular area of her home became associated with family arguments. She removed all the furniture, prayed for the spiritual cleansing of the room, and re-dedicated
How to Bless Your Home
Take some time to think about how and when to bless your home. Do you want to pray for the Lord’s blessing on a particular area, room or the whole place? Is a general prayer for the blessing of God’s presence and peace sufficient in the circumstances ie when praying for someone else’s home? Does the area need to cleansed first by confession of events that have taken place there, and asking God to forgive those involved? When you have given some thought to that you can then
- Choose the day and time appropriate for your time of Blessing
- Decide whether you want/need prayer partners or witnesses to be present
- Select appropriate Bible Verses to read out loud before you pray
- Prepare to break bread together if you feel it is appropriate
Sign up for regular news from Mary Martha Wisdom and receive your FREE copy of the devotional to help you bless your home.
It has a selection of Scripture verses and prayers for 10 areas of your home and more…….
I want this!
Bless Your Home ~ Ideas for Celebrating!
Just as the Children of Israel set up memorial stones to mark a significant encounter with God you may want to celebrate the event in some way. Try these ideas:
- for newly-weds – breaking bread together, selecting a Scripture verse together, making a way to display the chosen verse (wooden plaque, framed print, etc)
- Birth of a child – string a ribbon across a doorway (Entrance, Nursery, etc) and cut the ribbon to mark their arrival home from the delivery room. Hang a framed print of the Bible Verse, Child’s name and date of birth
- Record the event in your journal with as many details as you feel should be recorded.
- Take a photo of those present at your ceremony in front of the relevant doorway
- Hang a memorial plaque over the entrance doorway
Bless This House
Sign up for regular news from Mary Martha Wisdom and receive a FREE copy of the devotional guide ‘Bless This House’ to help you.
Helen Cronin lives in the UK with her husband and two furbabies. She is the founder of the gardening website Leaves From My Garden and the website dedicated to studying the Word of God – Honey Bible Study. She is also Editor-in-chief of Mary Martha Wisdom. When not glued to her PC you will find her walking her dogs in the countryside near her home or gardening! Helen gave her life to the Lord Jesus when she was 19 yrs old and has served in a number of ways including administrative roles, speaking at a Bible Conference and latterly through writing.